Saturday, May 31, 2008

My Not-So-Secret Obsession

So I realized today, with yet another trip to Barnes and Noble, I'm seriously obsessed with books! I guess all of you reading this are saying "Wow, Really??" Because all of you know me and probably already know this to be true of me. ...But for myself, I think I've suddenly realized it on a whole new level. New to the point of dangerous...

Pretty much in exactly two months, 60 days, I've collected roughly 30 new books. That's not really an exaggeration, folks. That doesn't mean I've bought that many, I've just...acquired that many, through choice and personal attraction...I guess you could say...

So lets do the math on that, and please correct me because, as math is my nemesis, I'm sure to be wrong, but wouldn't that equal, on average, a book every other day?

Wow. Alright, so this part I asked my brother the answer for (what can I say? It made my brain hurt) ...If I stayed on that track for a whole year, collecting a new book every other day, my total of new books at the end of the year would be ... 182.5 !!

I'd end up with 182 and a half books...I don't exactly know what that half would equal...a picture book maybe? Or Stardust minus it's cover? Or my copy of Les Mis which is literally torn in half? I dunno. But that's A Lot of books! [secretly planning this to be my new life's goal]

Anybody know any Books Anonymous groups? We could form one, who's with me?? It could be called BAG and would probably go something like:

"Hi, My name is...I'd rather not say... I've been collecting books since I was a child...people would give them to me and my parents had no problem with me buying them whenever I felt like it. My friends can't understand why I can't stop touching them whenever I see them and they're all over my room... I use them to go to sleep at night, or zone out with during the day, maybe it's their seemingly-hallucinogenic nature...I just can't seem to get enough of them, especially when things are really bad...that's when I feel I need them the most."

But come on, in reality they are just books, right? Nothing wrong with that. I don't have a book problem. Do you??

As a side note, in Dean Koontz's words, a nemesis cannot be beaten. An adversary can...Maybe it's time to refer to math as my adversary rather than my nemesis...I might do better in school that way.

3 comments:

Kameron said...

Hi I'm Kameron, and I'm a book addict. Thanks for introducing me to this Books Anonymous group.

I used to have about 500 books, but gave most of them away in the Great Purge of Ought-Seven. I still have the urge to buy more books. But I fight it daily, and stay within my budget: the books aren't the problem, they're merely a symptom of my packrattedness.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest, Suzy...

Julie Wright said...

Book problem? Who me? Not a chance. I'm still in the denial stage and admit to nothing. So what if you can't walk into any room in my house without a stack of books to stumble over. That's normal right? RIGHT????

Suzy - Q said...

Kameron,
the thought of giving away any books is painful for me, with the sole exception of buying new books to give to friends. In which case, the opportunity to buy softens the blow of parting...

500 books! ...and the question remains, where do we keep them all??? Ooh our lovely secrets :)

Julie, Julie, Julie, isn't denial bliss :)