Monday, May 26, 2008

My New Blog! How Exciting!

I just finished up another weekend of hanging out with local authors! Lucky me! The price for that was being labeled as a Sci-Fi Junkie, Trekky, or Geek, by those who know me and were less fortunate in going to the Sci-Fi convention, ConDuit, held right here in Salt Lake. And no, I don't consider myself any of those things. Thank you very much : )

But I do consider myself lucky to see and hang out with so many Fabulous authors! You know, the great ones, like Jessica Day George, Julie Wright, James Dashner, L.E. Modesitt, Eric Swedin. I really missed seeing Jeff Savage though, and Sara Zarr, but I got to see her the weekend before along with Rick Walton and several others at the Children's Book Festival in Provo! That was a lot of fun.

I guess you could say one of the major highlights of this weekend would include meeting Mette Ivie Harrison, author of The Princess and the Hound. I enjoyed lunch with her, and several of the other authors previously mentioned, on Saturday. Before leaving, she personalized a paperback copy of her book to me. It made me feel very special and excited to add another special book to my collection of signed books. (and I get to be one of the first to receive her paperback edition as they officially get released in stores tomorrow!!)

I'm very proud of my collection of signed books as it takes up a whole shelf in my library and includes seasoned authors Marc Brown and Dick King Smith, as well as newer great ones, like Brandon Mull, and pretty much all the authors previously mentioned.

And yes, I am very proud to be able to actually say I own my own library! It consists of four bookcases (but is growing rapidly) and I have actual sections, such as all my cookbooks, how-to books, magazines (the Writer's Digest mainly - 3 or 4 years worth of those : ) Newspaper archives (The Mount Desert Islander!) young adult fiction, picture books, adult fantasy, adult fiction, and of course, my own 20 + journals from high school and beyond! (And yes, I realize it doesn't equal Eric Swedin's library of 32 book cases, but he's much older than I am. I still have time to catch up : )

Speaking of libraries, I applied for a job as Library Assistant at the main Salt Lake Library!! I really really hope I get it. I had an interview Friday that I feel went very well. So, wish me luck!

I guess I could update those of you who don't know. I've moved to Down Town Salt Lake! woohoo. I should have an apartment by the end of this week for myself and my little ones, and I start school next Wednesday! I'll be going to SLCC very part time taking intro to communications and intermediate writing...we'll see how that goes. (any questions on any of that, feel free to email me : )

My favorite hangouts in Salt Lake include Cup o' Joes and the Cathedral of the Madeleine... I think that's how it's spelled... favorite bookstores up here include the Golden Braid and The King's English; I'll always be partial to Barnes and Noble, however, having worked there for a recent span. (I Loved my job at B&N!! It was very fun!)

So anyway, that's what's new with me...please comment, I seriously believe nobody reads these things and I hate feeling like I'm talking to myself : ) I have enough voices in my head, most of which I write down so others can hear them too : ) ...you know the ones.

Have a Fantastic Memorial Day!!

6 comments:

Anna said...

I love reading blogs, I'm so excited that you have one now. How cool to meet all those authors and get signed books!

Robert said...

That's all great news. And my wife is jealous of all your books. We both loved your quote of the day too! Downtown SLC is so much more happening than any other place you've lived. But nothing like Philly! :)

James Dashner said...

Sweet, Suzy has a blog! It was fun to see you at Conduit, and I look forward to watching you rule the blogosphere. Especially when that book gets published!

Suzy - Q said...

Hey Falcon,
SLC more happenin'?? You do remember I'm originally from Boston, right?
Which entirely outweighs Philly ;)

Thanks, Dashner, it was nice seeing you at Conduit as well, and I will be the Queen of the 'blogosphere' :)

Unknown said...

Hey, I am so excited to hear what is going on with you in your blog....keep it up. I want to read what you are working on too, and don't forget to keep in touch!

Unknown said...

lol, I meant in Utah... There are obviously many more exciting places to live outside Utah. But I still need to get up to Boston. You ever hear that some "Boston" from Kenny Chesney? Check it out, reminds me of you every time. Also Colors came out with a song called Boston. Russ wrote it for his wife, I posted it on Youtube. Check it out too! Just type colors reunion concert and you'll find it. Let me know what you think