Saturday, July 5, 2008

Burning Hot Sun...Swollen Toes...

What did you all do to celebrate our country's independence?? I feel like that keeps seeming more like an oxymoron with each passing year. Anyone else feel that way? ...or that it's just... somehow twisted...you all know what I mean even if I can't say it right...I guess the question I'm going for here is is our country really free? Compared to other countries it's absolutely free, but within our own country... I think the expectations for freedom could be higher. There.

I'm really not into politically controversial debates - I don't consider myself politically savvy in Any way, which I'm working on, especially now that I'm in school...I think we should at least be aware of what's going on in the world around us even if we don't want to be active in changing things or helping things along...I think we are all active by default anyway and if more people knew more about all of it it would all happen much more smoothly maybe or they would at least be more aware of the impact of their actions...but now that's just being down right hypocritical.

ANYWAY. Enough of that...crazy. So we went to Provo to celebrate, up Provo Canyon to a really great fire pit spot and roasted hot dogs and made smores!! Yum! And then we drove up to Squaw Peak and watched all the fireworks happening across the valley and especially the Stadium of Fire show. It was lots of fun. The children are especially hilarious and compete with each other for cuteness recognition. Ivan was explaining to the kids about why we celebrate Independence Day and mentioned George Washington. Lochlan started asking a clarifying question and got as far as something like "But what did George Washingmachine...?" That kept us laughing for quite some time : )

Random change of subject...Okay, so on my way to becoming urban-ized, metro-savvy ...something... ...I've decided that some days public trans just sucks. Thursday was definitely one of those days... I had two appointments, one at 2 and one at 3... great setup, right? I waited 40 minutes for the bus to take me seven blocks down state street to my 2:00. I should have just walked, right? Only I couldn't have picked more uncomfortable shoes (my black 3 inch heals...way to go) I was twenty minutes late. fantastic. Then I waited another 40 minutes for the bus to take me the seven blocks back the other way and pretty much missed my 3:00 appointment. So, yes, public trans is great for fun when you don't actually have to be anywhere at any specific time : )

And that's not factoring in the crazies that invite me to go to bars with them...yikes!

I can't wait for when I can get my bike! I found the perfect one at the bike shop and the way it works is I can put in volunteer hours fixing up other bikes to earn the bike I want and while doing so I can learn all kinds of stuff about how to fix bikes so that when the one I have needs something I'll know exactly what to do. It's so cool! Not to mention it feels good putting in service hours helping other people. I don't feel like I do that near enough. So I should have a bike in a couple of weeks. And not just any bike, the classic double-baskets on the back, girl style, old-fashioned road bike of my dreams! The kind I love to ride in Maine!! 'nough said, right?

Speaking of Maine I was invited by my family to go there this summer.
(they'll all be there in one week...)
Gosh I miss it.

Well, it's Saturday and I have the Entire day to work on my book, so that's what I'm gonna do. I'm so excited! I finally figured out how to factor in one of the main story lines! I know exactly where to start it, at least for now and how it's gonna work. Some writers say you should never talk to anyone about your stuff till it's all done, but how would you ever come up with where things fit and new ideas if you don't talk about it?? I think, as in all things, there must be a balance.

Have a great Saturday and hope ya'll enjoy the weekend, wherever you may be.

No comments: