Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A Good Time To...

The weekend is over, the conference is over, and life is smoothing back into routine. How is it possible to have such a set routine and have it still feel so ridiculously chaotic? I need to rethink and reorganize and just breathe. Is there really time for breathing? I guess it depends on the definition, maybe, right?

I had a friend call me yesterday. I love those types of phone calls, really. I was at work and a friend from a business called me and said she'd just met with someone from a magazine (and I'm going to remain real unspecific here) who said they've got some openings for freelance writers. She recommended me! She took the person's info and told them I'd probably be calling! How cool is that! What's more, she gave me all the info and I actually called them. They requested a couple of my writing samples which I emailed over right away before I could talk myself out of it and they said it might be a couple weeks, but that they'll probably get back to me! WoW! Even if they don't get back to me, I'm really okay with that. It's the possibility of the opportunity that I often become more amazed with ...maybe that's messed up...

It'd be a simple part time freelance thing, already stuff that I do, what's one more except the possibility of more money : ) Though I don't know yet if this is even a paying gig. Time will tell.

I'm in math class. We're learning negative numbers (rather appropriate for my mood lately, if I think about it.) He's talking in terms of negative bank accounts and losing in Las Vegas...or Wendover... It's good review anyway.

I finished that book finally, Without Reservations. The title has so many meanings in so many ways! And what a fabulous book! A lot of good imagery mixed with a lot of thoughtful substance. Without Reservations: for one thing, she decided to go to Europe 'without reservations' - second thoughts, holding back, etc. And she didn't really make a whole lot of hotel reservations along the way, like, she kind of did, but she left herself wide open for spontaneity. Good book. And she won a flippin' Pulitzer in feature journalism (someday...maybe someday...) : ) If you have no idea what I'm talking about, just read the book... Tammy, you might really enjoy it.

Alright, well, I'm falling behind in my math notes now. If two wrongs don't make a right, how do two negatives make a positive...? He says they do...

2 comments:

Venom Sepluv said...

Hey Suzy! It's your favorite new YA fantasy buddy from the Roundup (just don't use my real name, Venom works for here)!!

Freelance, eh? Cool! I hope it works out for you, money is always good. And have fun in math, the bane of (most) writers.

I would spend more time commenting, but I must get back to work on my manuscript! Bye! =)

Unknown said...

wow, I feel so special to be in your blog :) I will read that book. Give me a call and we need to catch up. I hope the writing gig works out.