Monday, October 27, 2008

Festivals, Books, Par-Tays!

I hear different things about Saturday, the UH Book Festival wasn't as big as last year, less people show up for things these days - where was everybody? - but myself, personally, I had a blast on Saturday!

The CWC had events all day which I had the opportunity to be a big part of, very fun. And we managed to pull off a rockin' poetry slam after all. It was awesome! Very good energy. And to top off all that, I got to go to the author's party that night, exclusive to those who helped with the days' events. I met Richard Peck - prominent children's author - and Sara Zarr was there as well, I love her! I love her books and I love her as a person. She's So Cool! (have I mentioned that before?) Special thanks goes to Eric for being my guest :)

It was really an awesome day.

I'm going backwards here.
Friday was a really great day too. I'll be out of town for Halloween, so on Friday I picked out costumes for the kids to wear to a Halloween party Saturday night. And after school I took them to pick out pumpkins and we got to carve them Friday night. She wanted a girly face and he wanted a silly face, but decided a scary face overruled. Mine turned out with some funky kind of a mask and fangs...my OCDness got the better of me. And I am okay with being not a pumpkin carver.

Speaking of carving pumpkins, I'm going to a big pumpkin carving party tonight! Can't wait! Should be a lot of fun. I love watching people who can cut out amazing pictures in theirs and make them all fancy. Something away from the usual pumpkin faces. Which was what I was going for, with a mask, I guess, but I took too much off and now it's getting all saggy, already.

Thursday night (still backtracking) I took my dinosaur road bike to The Fantastic, Awesome, Amazing Bike Collective! I finally found a new back tire for it! So happy! It's a really weird size and near-impossible to find. So, new tire, gear shifter fixed, chain lubed, clunking tweaked (though, cuz of the metal frame, still clunks) all in an hour and a half and now it seriously rides like a gem! I'm so excited! First gear actually works! The Bike Collective Rocks! As do the couple of nice guys there who helped me with all that : )

And that's as far back as I'm going to go. Did you know that you can vote early this week to avoid the lines next Tuesday? I'm thinking I'm going to go vote Tomorrow!

I'm currently in film class and we're watching The Building of a Nation...or something like that...it's a silent film... in all personal unsophisticatedness, how did people watch these back then? I guess back then they didn't know of anything else...that's how. Cuz watching them now ... painful. Not only the lack of sound, but the lack of color as well... it's almost a handicap.
((**the birth of a nation**)) I can see how a lot of this music became so popular, though, how these songs managed to last through the ages with the ties to their respective films... same as today, I guess.

Well, be sure to vote, and be sure to add yourself as a follower of my blog : )
I like knowing there are people who actually read it.

No comments: