Thursday, October 9, 2008

Read the Warning Label First

Don't worry, that title has nothing to do with anything in this post, I'm really pretty sure...

I really hate it when I start reading a book and realize I don't like it. I'm never honest about that, except this time. Normally I just stay in denial: "no, it's okay, I kind of like it...it at least deserves to be read...I can't not finish it now..." Because if I don't finish it, then what do I do? Okay, like Confederacy of Dunces! I really didn't like that book! 50 pages to the end I finally admitted it and put the friggin' book back on the shelf - at which point, why don't I just finish it, I only have 50 pages left!

Yeah, well, the book I'm reading now (Jay's Journal) I'm only about 50 pages into it this time and I'm deciding I don't like it and I put it back on the shelf before I left the house today. But it's still lingering in my head... am I going to force myself to pick it up again and finish the story? I'll let you know if I do...

It just kinda sucks cuz there was this other book I was all excited to read (The second book by Alice Steinbach) a couple weeks ago when I bought it, but I figured I'd start Jay's Journal since I had bought that one first... only now I'm not quite as excited about it, my mood's switched and the book could very easily come across as boring...I'm not in any mood to be bored (or I dunno, maybe I am and that's the problem...?) The point is, I am now in between books and I don't know what to read... do I just pick up Stienbach, finish that stupid book, or maybe read the Enchanted Forest series, I like that one and haven't read it since I bought it... has my mood really switched to Fantasy again?

hmm...interesting...perhaps it has... Eric, for some reason now I'm thinking of you...I've been thinking of you, though, since I started Jay's Journal - I remember what you said about it and maybe that's what's ruined it for me... but I think you warned me of that before you said anything, so I'll refrain from blaming you :)

The worst part of not finishing a book once I've started it, no matter if I've only read the first sentence, chapter (I never only read the first sentence or chapter, for this reason...) or 50 pages from the end, the story Never Leaves my Head!

Have you noticed that too?

1 comment:

Eric Swedin said...

I used to be like you and finish every book that I started, even if it was agony. But I reformed. Life is too short and there are too many good books to waste a single second on a book that does not serve our purposes or appeal to us. Say no, put it down, and pick up the next one on your to-read list.