Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Am I really a Pottermaniac?

I've been avoiding updating my blog till I have something reasonably of interest to post. I realized I'll probably be delaying forever if I keep that up, so here I am...updating...again...

I have to say I feel my presentation went really well today. For those of you who I haven't raved to about this, I had to give a ten-minute presentation for one of my classes at school today on the Harry Potter Phenomenon and how it's revolutionized children's lit. Gosh, what a fantastic topic! And no, I didn't come up with it myself. It was on a list that we were required to pick from. My presentation was more like 30 minutes rather than 10... I managed to narrow my 20 pages of exciting facts down to ...5? and I think even then I only got through half... thank you to those who contributed to it, it really was awesome to be able to quote my friends as qualified sources on the subject.

One of the facts I ran across was that at a university in Calif, there's a class specifically called Harry Potter Lit. ...or something of the sort. I've decided I really really really would be totally happy teaching a class like that! There's just so much to cover!

Okay, Okay. I can feel myself building up to going off about all of it and so I'll stop myself now. ...I'll stop...breathe... :)

So, when I'm not madly doing school projects and studying, I've been stopping by the community writing center for tips on my novel. That really is a humbling experience, by the way...for a few reasons which I'll refrain from stating as well... (note to self - be less vague on blog) Anyway, it's really awesome having people to talk my story over with. I've gotten some really awesome feedback on improvements to make and what's already working well. I just want to get it flowing enough to have a few people start reading it...or at least the beginning of it. I like feedback.

If I were more tech savvy I'd have a link to a page where you could all view my stuff, but it just seems like a really overwhelmingly complicated thing to figure out right now...I'll ask my all-time computer savvy brother and we'll set something up. I've had many requests from gathering fans to reveal my fantastic writing, can't let down the fans :)

Alright, so I exaggerate (a little ;) Wow. So I think I'm on day...3...day 3 of not buying or 'acquiring' any books... hmm...interesting... but honestly I think I'm on target for having 365 new books by the end of the year... that's just nutty. - new as in books I didn't already have...not just new books I've purchased... I might cut back. Maybe it's just a June thing, you know, birthday...books... they go together quite nicely. I don' t think I'll buy any more at least until I've finished all the ones I just bought, which should take me a while.

I'm currenlty reading Dragonslippers by Jessica Day George...feeling bad that I haven't already read it as I just love her and she's such a fun awesome person to be around. And, I Love her book! It seriously is great! I was reading it at night only so as not to have nightmares from reading Koontz at night and now I've switched to pounding it during the day and I should have it finished...maybe by tomorrow night.

Okay, Jessica, I woke up at 5:30 yesterday morning and couldn't get back to sleep and read a lengthy portion of the book. I'm really quite into it and find myself picturing all the places and people so many times during the day and I'm really quite distressed about what's going to happen!! I just want it all to turn out okay! :) Brilliant!

(Does Jessica even read my blog? ...probably not...)

Alright, time to get back to work.
Ciao!

2 comments:

Robert said...

I am so glad you enjoy your school work so much, very vital. If you need help getting your book online, I can turn it into a .pdf and I could also make a cover for ya. I am in graphic design you know. I'm trying to pick up as much work as possible while I have a month off of school. :) So, let me know if you need anything. You've got my email address.

Unknown said...

Suzy,


From what you have written and what you have stated in conversation, I gather your work ethic is strong. I'm sure you'll make progress as you keep your nose to the grindstone.


Martin