Saturday, April 3, 2010

Final Season, Final Episodes!

The truth is, since Punky Brewster I've never had a favorite show, one that I'd dedicate hours and hours to, watching every episode, picking up little details, anticipating the next episode...

That is, until Monk. I purchased seasons until it got to be too pricey to own them all (though someday I plan on it) and then I borrowed them from the library...multiple times. Like now.

I've spent years refusing to pay for television, so I'm really not up to date on current tv shows, other than ones I hear other people mention and then I'm just curious because I have no idea what they're talking about. I don't see previews over and over on advertisements for the most recent movies unless it's on a DVD and even then I make it a point to skip right to the menu...I've realized I don't appreciate previews the same as other people do, generally taking the 15 minutes of previews at theaters as leeway for not missing the start of the movie. I resent anybody's summaries of movies - to me that's as bad as reading the back of a book (who does that!) Name one or two people in a movie and the genre and even that's sometimes too much.

I've also realized I have a very limited taste for movies. I borrow several from the library (since I work there it's just so easy!) that I never end up watching. I think I'll watch them, so I get them, but then they sit around the house as I review movies I already own, or sadly more likely, episodes of Monk. Maybe it's his voice...or Randy - I Love his humor! He's so pathetic, but Funny! - I just like playing it in the background while I'm doing anything else... but I've also realized I only really like watching movies I've never seen before if I have the time to pay attention to them without doing anything else, like homework or folding laundry or doing stuff online or writing - like I have time to write anymore - and if I don't have time to write, I certainly don't have time to watch a new movie...

But Monk! LoL I guess that's where my endless cravings for these candy apples started! I eat my candy apple watching a new episode of Season 8 of Monk! I lie in bed till two in the morning watching episode after episode!

Okay, in truth I only did that for two days because after the two days I'd seen all the episodes of Season 8, including the last two final episodes! That's right, they've canceled my favorite show! Aak! But I have to say, I do feel like they wrapped everything up So nicely! And unlike some people who love to summarize what they watch, I'll say nothing, other than - watch it yourself!

I realize there are plenty of shows that are far more well done than Monk, several shows that have a better final season or final episode, shows where the characters aren't as stereo-typed or ones that have more depth. But I Love Monk!

So I guess my question is, Why? Why do we latch on to such shows? Any shows? Why are there Trekkies and ...see? I don't even know, what's a show that has a fanatical following? CSI, Scrubs? Sex in the City! There's one that's popular (though in truth I think I've only ever seen half of one episode when I dropped by a friend's house - it's so racy!) Why do we allow these fantastical lives of characters to influence our own life? - and in so many ways!

My reasons for liking Monk, and now that it's all over what I've learned: there are lots of things, and those who know me even a little :) know what most of them are. But the one most influential piece of knowledge I've gained from Monk is the realization that my grandfather is entirely OCD! But unlike the people in Monk, who try to make him stretch and grow and don't quite put up with it so much and most importantly acknowledge the origins of his weirdness, my family dating back to the night my grandparents first met, has catered to my grandfather's OCD-ness, putting themselves out to satisfy his "persnickety" behaviors, accepting that his morning routine of dressing and showering has always taken him two hours, that he gargles for twenty minutes, that it takes him three days to pack a car for a vacation and 10 minutes to fold a towel. He separates his food too - or really just puts one type of thing on his plate at a time.

Throughout the years of my Monk watching I've gained a greater appreciation for Grampa's behavior, becoming proud of the novelties of having an OCD someone in my life, realizing exactly where my OCD-ness comes from. Where his behavior has frustrated and traumatized the rest of the family I even moreso find it endearing and intriguing. It turns out my aunt married someone just like her father! - of course! Isn't that what people do? :) and so I have two very OCD "Monks" in my family, no exaggeration. And it is true, everyone has A Little OCD-ness sprinkled into their personalities, but these two really are the extreme!

Even now I'm watching the final episodes again - with my mom this time because I've made her suffer through my Monk addiction for years now and though she's not as big a fan by any means, she is curious and mildly interested, enough to at least somewhat enjoy them with me :)

So who's the Monk in your life? Or if you're not so die-hard about it, what's your show addiction? Cuz everyone has at least one.

No comments: