Saturday, April 10, 2010

Too Many Choices

This is an idea which applies across the board,
one that I've always found less convenient rather than more.

I notice variety of choice especially at the store, 50 types of deodorant, 50,000 types of soap...
And lets broaden the spectrum just a little to choices of where to shop for all that deodorant and soap - grocery stores, or fancy stores like Bath and Bodyworks - and of course lots of choices we make depend upon things like our budget, our mood, etc. and different places offer different things, so sometimes choosing seems likable - especially when it comes to clothes, for me anyway.

Like just the other day I came across this store that I've almost made a point to never go into at all (no, not That one) This store had this different kind of dress hanging in the window - it really was gorgeous! And of course I bought it and it's now a new piece of variety decorating my wardrobe, tempting me with a different choice.

Sometimes choices have to be thought up too, like where am I going to wear such a fancy dress anyway? Now I 'get to' come up with various places or events that I can then choose from.

And then there's the internet, which of course seems like an infinite source for choices, Pandora being my newest discovery for choices of music. Isn't there a name for people who intentionally come up with new choices...No! Of course not! There are a lot of Different names for these types of people, not just one to choose from...

Maybe it's variety that I'm loathing...they go together yet are completely different...

But then there's the writer in me...and what would I do without all of these fun words to choose from, all this variety? Why, that's the very essence of literature!

Hmm...maybe I like variety, it's the initial process of actually making a Choice that I dislike?
((But I dislike being labeled 'indecisive' by anyone also))

Like Choosing what to do with my future. I have three weeks left of this semester and this semester is the key turning point to the rest of my future (or it really does seem that way) I've played with so many different scenarios in my head:

Graduate now - "walk" as they call it. If I do this I'll still have a few classes to take over the summer before I can actually get my degree - it was supposed to be just one class and so this is what I'd planned on, but now realizing it won't be just one class I'm left having to make a very crucial, high pressure choice - go with it, "walk" anyway, take the classes and try not to kill myself over the summer, or:

Take the Summer Off Completely! mmm that seems refreshing. Go back to school in the fall, finish out then or maybe spread those classes through Spring semester too and walk next year... this is the Same thing I've chosen Every year!! Really?? Am I Ever going to finish college?? Aah!
((minus the actual taking a semester off, cuz I can never seem to bring myself to do That))

I was going to graduate now, finish through the summer, get my degree... and then take a year off and start somewhere else next fall - I Was going to finish and go somewhere new This fall, or even last fall! but obviously I didn't factor in my emotional status and overall capability...or Reality! how about that? The reality of the situation...I don't like talking about "reality."

Is this what they call Senioritis? I think I remember being at this point in my life once before...like when I graduated high school (how long ago was that??) and I had to Choose which college to go to and what to do then... I made so many....k....lets not judge past choices, how bout that?

There are many other options I've played with in my head...like going coastal and starting all over in Maine (not a Real option or I'd have done this before now) There are So many things to factor into these choices, one mainly has been the excruciating rise in tuition which is about to hit and the downsizing at SLCC, making it more difficult to get into classes, and of course finishing my novel, which I really do want to do!

Lets breathe for a minute :)

I like the philosophy we've been talking about in Spanish. Don't look at the future so much because we tend to become paralyzed by the future, look instead towards the now...

S0 all Choices aside, what's most important and what needs to be done Now?
((I recommend rereading this line 2 or 3 times))

This I like. This I can live with! This is refreshing and good and I recommend taking it to heart, in at least one aspect of your own life.

And if you've read to this point, thank you for listening :)

Sincerely,
Suzy

3 comments:

Michael Dimitri said...

Now, I'm going to answer your knocking at my door. lol.

Anna said...

Choosing can be hard, especially when it seems like it is your whole life you are choosing right now. Just take a deep breath. Things will work out. I'm still waiting to read the rest of that novel. :)

Suzy - Q said...

Thank you Anna :)
How are you doing these days anyway? You should shoot me an email n we can catch up.